History

Columbus Community Hospital was founded in 1907 as a 15-bed facility located on West James Street in Columbus. Started by Dr. B. Bellack of Columbus, Dr. B. Meacher, a Portage surgeon, and Catherine Chadbourn. The hospital was sold to the Sisters of Divine Savior in 1913 and then operated under the name of St. Mary's Hospital. An addition was built in 1921, a three story building was constructed in 1928, and a new wing was dedicated in 1959.

1970

On October 1, the hospital was purchased by members of the community and Columbus Community Hospital, Inc. was formed. The hospital grew to a 70-bed facility serving Columbus residents, as well as the area and communities surrounding it.

1976

It became apparent that a more modern facility was needed and plans were made for the construction of a new 68-bed hospital.

1979

The new hospital located at 1515 Park Avenue, Columbus, was officially opened on January 24, 1979.

1985

On September 30, the Board of Directors formed an affiliation with Methodist Health Services/Jackson Clinic of Madison upon their merger with Madison General Hospital, Meriter Health Services, Inc/Physicians Plus. The affiliation was discontinued in April of 2000.

1996

A major expansion was initiated, providing newly remodeled facilities for ambulatory surgery, rehabilitation services, and support services. The addition also connected the physician office facilities with the hospital, enhancing patient convenience and efficiency.

2002

In May; Columbus Community Hospital signed an affiliation agreement with SSM Health in Wisconsin, which provided SSMH with a minority interest in CCH.

2003

Columbus Community Hospital broke ground for two building additions, a new clinic and Emergency Room.

2004

The new clinic opened in May and the Emergency Room was completed in April. In July, CCH became licensed for 25 beds as a Critical Access Hospital. The hospital grew to approximately 240 employees and over 50 active, consulting, courtesy, and ER physicians on staff. A group of about 100 volunteers provide valuable services to the hospital in a variety of areas. Philanthropic support is provided through the Columbus Community Hospital Foundation.

2006

Remodeling of the Medical Imaging Department, the Volunteers of CCH Gift Shoppe, and the addition of a three-car length, two-car width drop off canopy was completed. Construction of new fourth floor began in October 2006.

2007

The remodeling of the hospital's first floor continued with the addition of a chapel and updating of the registration area, the Rehabilitation Department, and the Laboratory. Inpatient services include an intensive care unit, obstetrics (Women & Childbirth Services), medical/surgical care, and a swing bed or long-term care service. Diagnostic services include Medical Imaging (CT Scanning, Ultrasound, Mammography, Radiography, Nuclear Medicine, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), Clinical Laboratory, Respiratory Therapy, and Electrocardiography (EKG and Echocardiography). Rehabilitation Services include Physical, Occupational, Speech, and Hearing Therapy, as well as Cardiac Rehabilitation.

2010

Phase III of the five phase construction and remodeling plan began in November 2010. The project included the remodeling and expansion of the following areas: Women's and Childbirth Services, Sleep Lab, Pharmacy, Swing Bed Services, Respiratory Therapy, EKG, and Occupational Health Services. The project was completed in December 2011.

2014

In April, CCH opened the Prairie Ridge Health Clinic at two locations (Beaver Dam and Columbus) The clinics provide surgical services and orthopedic services. On June 10, CCH broke ground for a two-story, 35,000-square-foot surgery center addition to be built onto the southwest side of the hospital. The expansion also included remodeling of the registration area, coffee shop, gift shop, medical imaging waiting area, and clinic areas, providing a "main street" connection to hospital services and clinics on the campus.

2015

In August, CCH opened the new surgical services addition and main street entrance and added the specialty of Internal Medicine to the Prairie Ridge Health Clinic Columbus location.

2017

On January 9, CCH opened the third Prairie Ridge Health Clinic location in Marshall, WI providing family practice services. CCH also expanded the Prairie Ridge Health Clinic services to include OBGYN within the Columbus location and Diabetic Education within the Columbus and Beaver Dam locations.

Columbus Community Hospital is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO).